Sunday, June 9, 2024

A Letter on Reading – In War Time

 To enjoy a book like that thoroughly I find I have to treat it as a sort of hobby and set about it seriously.  I begin by making a map on one of the end leafs: then I put in a genealogical tree or two.  Then I put a running headline at the top of each page; finally I index at the end all the passages I have for any reason underlined.  I often wonder-considering people enjoy themselves developing  photos or making scrap-books-why so few people make a hobby of their reading in this way.  Many an otherwise dull book which I had to read have I enjoyed in this way, with a fine-nibbed pen in my hand: one is making something all the time and a book so read acquires the charm of a toy without losing that of a book.

https://www.cslewis.org/blog/a-letter-on-reading-in-war-time/?utm_source=pocket_shared

No comments: