Monday, September 25, 2023

Tomatoes

Northern Ruby Paste- Wow, a keeper! Im a big fan of my seeds of smuggled SIcilian San Marzano's but these beat them. The plants got off to a slow start and I grumbled about them until...they started producing! Next year? Less NR plants, they are so productive. Thick flesh, easy to peel.

Seattle- A bust. Healthy plant but small, tasteless fruit. Not worth the effort
Madame Marmaud- a favorite for the last 3 growing seasons of mine for flavor and size. This batch of seeds to start werent strong and there was poor and weak germination. But the plants I was able to get going, produced well. A bit sensitive to too much wet, but the flavor is worth the effort.
Momotaro- After crop seed failure last year, this tomato was hard to find. SO glad they are back! The Japanese are passionate about perfection in uniformity and flavor and this is one of my top favorite tomatoes. Very prolific as well.
New improved Better Boy- Late to ripen, spotty and sensitive to wet. Big tomatoes but not worth the effort for me. I need tomatoes that can thrive here in the NW.
Early Girl- Always a favorite and this year the fruit was massive! 'nuf said
Mountain Early- A good early and uniform tomato. Good production, especially for slicing and eating fresh. Will have a place in my tomato patch!
Anna Russian- super thick flesh, little seeds but not as prolific as I like and a tendency toward hard, thick skin-but that could have been lack of water. Rather like a "Genovese" in shape.
Heinz- Poor germination but the one plant that made it was outstanding. Going to try again. A fantastic sauce tomato that I like even more than the paste tomatoes. Going to work harder to get better germination-totally worth it.
Siletz- Always a goodie but not at the top of my list. "

No comments: